Friday, March 29, 2013

5-minute Friday:Broken


Broken

To appoint to them that mourn in Zion, to give to them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified. 
(Isaiah 61:3 American King James Version)


For as long as I can remember, I have had an aversion to anything broken in my life. I have an uncontrollable urge to throw out anything with a crack, dent, stain, rip, or other imperfection. I know it doesn't make sense, but it's one of those things that is unfortunately part of my personality. I hate broken anything: dishes, knick knacks, vases, you name it. So out it goes, as fast as I can get it there before someone notices and tries to talk me into maybe gluing it, taping it, washing it, or otherwise hiding or fixing the imperfect part. Superglue, in our home, isn't used to fix cracked valuables, it is used for kids' school projects and husband's garage mishaps. As soon as I notice a broken place on something I own, I don't want to own it anymore.

The other day it occurred to me that I AM SO GLAD GOD DOESN'T THINK THE SAME WAY! What if He threw out broken things too? Like people? Like His children? Like me? What if he saw the brokenness of our lives and thought, "it's not worth fixing; it's not worth saving" ?

But he doesn't think that way. My God uses broken people in His kingdom, in His service, every day. He takes your broken self and gently lifts you up out of your well of despair and says to you, I will give you  beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness." (Isaiah 61:3) And, if you let Him, He will take your despair away and give you hope. And He will bless you even further by using you to bless others in their brokenness. What a great God we serve!








http://thegypsymama.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/5-minute-friday-1.jpg



9 comments:

  1. Amen! What a God we serve! Thanks for your comment today! Happy to be in the neighborhood over at Lisa-Jo's together on FMF!
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karrilee! Happy Easter to you too!

      Delete
  2. Powerful post...loved this especially, "And He will bless you even further by using you to bless others in their brokenness". Thanks for visiting today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! Happy Easter!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for your sweet comment. I try to be as open and honest as I can. Sometimes I feel as though I've been TOO honest, but it has changed my life dramatically. Thank you for your encouragement!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Courtney,
      you're welcome. keep writing and being real. You are already being used of God to relate to others with the same issues.
      Happy Easter!

      Delete
  4. My comment was rather brief the other day as I was on the run, but this post has stayed on my heart. I love everything you wrote...especially every word of your last paragraph. "And, if you let Him, He will take your despair away and give you hope."
    God is GOOD! (((hugs))) I love you my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete